Friday 9 June 2023

Returning to the River of No Return


Random Thoughts

- Most of the grass in the park next to where I live hasn't been cut for ages, it's sunny but there's not many places to sit there. Because it's so long.

- I just realised that I could playing Street Fighter 6 instead of writing about Baywatch... I've barely played it yet.

Baywatch - River of No Return Part 1 - I'm Still Talking About It

How am I still stuck on this episode? I must not spend much more time on it since I'm already four episodes ahead of this two part story! I'm probably not going to write much about them since I'm already forgetting a lot. The reason why I'm still talking about River of No Return Part 1 is because I haven't even mentioned the other half the the episode - the introduction of the new characters. I'm already forgetting the details but I think some of them don't interact with the old characters in this episode, they have their own introductory story. Since I'm six episodes deep into Season 3, I may as well just tell you about how the new faces come across in these six episodes in general. In other words, I'm sort of moving away from 'River of No Return'. 

Summer Quinn

A blond girl who moves to the area with her mum, they're portrait as being a bit poor since they live in a trailer. This isn't focused on though, and they seem very jolly so it's not all doom and gloom. She's probably not supposed to be much younger than Shauni but she's definitely portraid as that, since she starts to go to high school in episode 6. Summer is in the first six episodes a lot, which come to think of it is a bit unusual for Baywatch. For example, if Shauni had a episode about her, she'd often barely be in several episodes after that.

In the first episode Summer appears in, I was wondering if her or C.J. is the replacement for Shauni. However by episode 6, I will give the show credit by saying that both of these characters are quite different than Shauni. Besides both being blonde. If anything, Summer initially appeared to be the replacement for Eddie, since she's kinda broke and has only just moved there, just like Eddie. But I was proven wrong over the next few episodes, she doesn't have the hard-knock-life background that Eddie had and she doesn't have a chip on her shoulder over her past. So far anyway.

In the first six episodes shes in, there is a focus on relationships. It's set up that Summer is going to get with Matt Brody, another new character, so I thought this was going to be a replacement for Shauni and Eddies love story. Not so. The show seems to forget this completely after 'River of No Return', instead having Summer fall for Slade, another new dude to the show.

C.J. (and sexy people on TV)

If I had to choose though, C.J. is closer to being like Shauni but that's not saying much. C.J. hasn't even been in it much as of episode 6. C.J. is of course played by Pamela Anderson, I assume this is the show that made her famous. Her acting in these six episodes is quite bad, in the way that's it's all one note, she also speaks quickly. I went to 'Baywatch.fandom' to check the spelling of her name, her profile picture makes her look quite different from what I've seen so far. I don't know how much further into the series that photo was taken, but I guess this is evidence of what I used to hear - That Pamela Anderson has had a lot of plastic surgery. Was that it? I'm not sure. Something about boobs too. You see, I was never a Pamela Anderson fan, not in the 90's, not ever. I don't even remember asking myself if I found her attractive or not back when I was a teen, I never thought about her at all for some reason. Even though I was a teen in the 90's so I was the prime audience for getting the hots for Pamela.

That said, despite not having much to do so far, she is growing on me. Shes no Erika Eleniak however. Shes not close to being as good at acting and her face isn't as pretty, her... assets aren't as nice either. Sorry for objectifying them but hay, this is Baywatch we're talking about here and I'm a lonely old man who has had very little relationship experience, so I hadn't help but think about these things. Let me live out my sad little fantasies in the mornings while I eat breakfast and watch TV. Anyway, a little more perving ahead - Despite those negative things I said about Pamela (personal preference stuff), you do gradually start to see how attractive her body is. I'm starting to see why this show became so popular, it was probably quite explicit back then. I'm sure there were many complaints in the 90's, even though Baywatch is so incredibly tame compared to everything nowadays. If it was rated, I assume it would be a U or PG at best. We've had shows like Game of Thrones which makes Baywatch look like My Little Pony when it comes to raunchiness. Sorry, I know even Game of Thrones is old now, what's it been, ten years already? Something like that. I don't watch much modern TV and Game of Thrones is just my go to show when contrasting how much more explicit TV shows are now.

Wait, this was supposed to be about C.J. wasn't it, I have nothing else to say about her anyway.

Matt Brody

The new main dude in the show, for sure, Brody is a stunningly attractive guy, or rather I should say the actor is. It's mind blowing how good looking he is. Acting wise, he's not bad, personality wise, he's a bit like a younger version of John D. Cort. He's a bit hot headed like him but the difference is that Cort was an action hero, it appeared like he was doing dumb things but he actually knew what he was doing. Or was at least doing things for the right reasons. For Brody, he does stupid things just because he wants to have fun. It's Baywatch though so of course he has a heart of gold underneath the reckless attitude. He is no John D. Cort though, that character was great and had charisma.

As of episode 6, Brody has a thing for C.J. and she might like the attention though it's hard to tell through Pamela's acting. This attraction has barely been touched upon though and unlike in the past, I'm not going to assume it'll lead anyway. I'm starting to see how Baywatch will drop ideas all the time. I'm probably used to modern TV writing where not a single scene or line is pointless, they always lead to something.

Last thing I'll say about Brody is that he's already had several 'one episode girlfriends'. I'm not sure why I'm pointing this out, it's just a thing I noticed. It's sort of like old episodes in-which Mitch did the same thing. Brody will have some random girlfriend, sometimes an extra or sometimes someone more significant but never a main cast member.

General Thoughts on Season 3 So Far

- The borders between the 'A' and 'B' stories are more vague, editing wise, I mean. Not that this was a bad thing in earlier episodes but I did notice it more, it was very clear that there were two stories going on and that one of them was the main focus. The general consensus would be that having the lines blur more is a good thing, though. I'm late saying all of this though since it started mid-season 2 but it becomes more potent in season 3, I found myself not even thinking about if there are 'A', 'B' or 'C' stories. On the other hand I might be wrong about all of this - I may have just gotten used to the structure of the show, having it originally stick out because I haven't seen a show like this in so long.

I've actually been writing this post for several days so I've fallen behind, I'll post it now and move straight onto the next one.

No comments: