Wednesday 24 October 2007

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

One season, 22 episodes. I've finished watching the entirety of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, usually simple known as Studio 60. I downloaded them, I think they're showing it on UK tv, but I can't remember what episode they're up to. There's no point in telling you what is, when it's already been greatly covered;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_60

I started watching this series, not really knowing what to expect. I've never seen Aaron Sorkins other shows, like the popular West Wing, I can't remember why I started watching Studio 60. It's really good, I found each episode more engaging than the one before, so I was surprised to find that it's been canceled after the first season. Ironic to think that it was canceled probably due to ratings, when one of the reoccurring themes in the show is the shows ratings. In case you don't know, Studio 60 is about the behind the scenes goings on of a live comedy tv show, like Saturday Night Live (which it's based on).

I found it amusing also that there was an anti-product placement episode, even though I'm pretty sure the show itself has product placement, perhaps they just have a sense of humor. The most obvious is the Apple products. I saw lots of Macs, they even had the older models in the 5 to 6 year flash backs. I think they even said Macs, or iPod at some point. I also saw a Superman Returns dvd in the background, even though the show would have been aired ages before the release of said dvd.

3 or 4 increasingly bad things come up in the last 3 episodes, but the show ends on a surprisingly high note. I thought that at least one of those things would reach it's negative end, but all the problems were solved; (spoilers*) Like I thought at least Jordan would die in the hospital, or whatisnames brother would get killed by the terrorists.

But I guess it's a good thing that everything was happy in the end, because that really was the end. There weren't even really any loose ends, no cliff hangers, nothing. I expected there to be, it would have been annoying to have one for a canned series. Perhaps it was all tied up because they knew it was going to be canceled before they finished recording the last episodes, it really did have that feeling of finality.

Though, of course, I do feel a bit empty inside (*quietly weeps*). Such a feeling of 'what ifs', what would they have done in season 2? Probably expanded on some of the lesser characters. Oh also I did forget that they didn't have the cold turkey episode with the main dude, I expected there to be one. But perhaps they exaggerated the seriousness of the drugs he was taking, Danny Trip did say in the last episode that he was taking pain killers, which doesn't sound very serious.

Anyway, I'm rambling on. So yeah, I recommend Studio 60, but don't get too attached, because it's almost definitely never coming back.


No comments: