Monday 23 October 2023

Baywatch - S05E19 - Deep Trouble

It's odd coming back to this blog to find that all my posts suddenly have a lot more views, it's a bit scary since I usually experience a weird sort of comfort "knowing" that no one reads my posts. It's a kind of personal diary which is stupid since it's public. Perhaps I should start making more of an effort... nah. Don't call this a come back by the way, I might not be regularly posting anymore.

S05E19 - Deep Trouble

I'm currently early into season 7 so I'm attempting to keep these reviews brief, which might not be hard since I can't remember them well. And no way am I going to re-watch them. Also, I'm trying not to repeat things that are on baywatch.fandom.com, they do an alright job summarising the episodes. This means I won't be describing the plots as much anymore. That site does miss out stuff sometimes, though. I'll only repeat things from site when I feel that it's relevent.

Currently being on season 7, I'm somehow already a little nostalgic for for season 5 episodes like Deep Trouble. Mostly because as you can imagine, some of the cast have changed since then. Talking as current season 7 me, I've finally noticed a pattern in Baywatch - Most of the main cast, besides Mitch and Hobie, last about two seasons, and then... bye bye.

Cort returns in this episode and it's for the last time, sadly. The total destruction of this great legacy character continues which is a little sad, though I'm probably the only one who cares. John Allen Nelson, Cort's actor, co-wrote this one, so perhaps he wasn't bothered about this destruction. Maybe it was his idea!

We start with Cort being found on the beach, a dirty, smelly bum, by Matt and C.J. The latter being his ex-girlfriend, which adds insult to injury. To be fair, this lowest point is brushed over in minutes. He's showed, is clearly still (in reality) super fit, and dressed up normally. He's no longer a bum.

The other story is about a young boy with leukaemia. Oh wait, I'm already just repeating what's on baywatch.fandom.com. It's hard not to when I can't remember the finer details concerning the episode. This story about a boy with leukaemia is another one of those Baywatch staples. They'll occasionally throw in one as a sort of public service announcement, or something. I'm not sure what to call them. It's like the one about that father who was a little person, they are done well, it's good for Baywatch to make them, but they somehow feel very dated. Do shows still make these sorts of episodes? Maybe they do and I just don't know. If they don't, they should. They come across as a little cheesy in Baywatch sometimes but they give us good messages. Perhaps they seem odd to watch now because they are so on the nose. Cort's eyesight is getting worse, he feels awful, but Mitch points out the boy with leukaemia, showing Cort that things could be worse.

The boy with leukaemia is called Nicholas, I should have said that earlier so I don't have to keep saying 'boy with leukaemia'.

Random Things

- Summer is briefly mentioned in this episode, by C.J. and Matt. It's rare for characters to mention old cast members and I think this is the last time Summer is ever mentioned in the show. Well, as of season 7, anyway. Though I'd hazard a guess that it really is the last time shes mentioned, ever, since... I won't say, as it's a minor spoiler.

- C.J. gets a training montage, shes sad about Cort and we question if she still loves him. We get some Cort footage from old episodes.

- Baseball player Mike Piazza makes a brief, random cameo. It's really obvious that it was required that he appears, helps make a simple rescue of a hot babe, and then walks off with her after she recognises him. To go on a date because, ya know, he's famous and a hero. I know nothing about Baseball.

- As a massive video games fan, I notice little things. There's a scene where Hobie is playing on a Game Gear in the background, we hear the sounds of it. They're a mixture of game sound effects but the most obvious ones are from Super Mario Bros., a game that's not on the SEGA Game Gear and couldn't be a title that's further from something that would appear on the Game Gear. It's also clear that the sound team just threw the effects in. It's not a recording of Super Mario Bros. being played, the sound effects are too close together. You hear Mario's warp sound multiple times in a short period. Also there's no music. I love how inaccurate games are represented in 80's and 90's movies and television, it's almost as if it's done on purpose. Did I ever write about the episode in-which Hobie plays Street Fighter II and it's a main plot point? If I didn't, I really should. Man that was a slightly weird experience for me.

No comments: