Sunday 28 May 2023

Catch up and Baywatch


Intro

I plan on not spending too much time on this post but I'll probably end up writing loads, as usual. I also haven't thought this through at all, so it might be even more random than usual. I also would like to start writing on here more often, so not taking too much time on this entry would be a good idea. What I mean is that I should pass myself.

I probably say something like this in almost every entry - Wow, it's been seven months since my past post already?! That's crazy. I'd like to read over the last post at some point, I did skim the titles, looks like I mention Dead by Daylight. I've still been playing it but for the last month or so, not so much. I kinda feel like it would be good if I almost completely stop playing it and, like I think I mentioned in my last post, start playing other games instead. Namely retro comes. I see I mentioned Road Rash 2 last time, I'd forgotten about that. Some months ago I did play some Gremlins 2 on the NES but not loads, relatively speaking. It was the beginning of my plans to re-visit the first games I remember playing, these plans have been a failure so far. So the record, since I've re-forgotten this in the past, the other game I wanted to re-visit is Cloud Kingdoms on the Atari ST. This time around it took quite some time to figure out what this game was called. I also found out that it was definitely the Atari ST version that I played and that my memory of having another games console / computer before the Atari ST might be incorrect. It might be a false memory. There's a vague memory of playing a game on cassette that looked a bit like Space Invaders (though more sophisticated) but perhaps it was on a different platform, such as Atari ST or PC. I still haven't figure out what game that was and I did a lot of digging online trying to find out what cassette based platform I had. There's not that many and I watched videos of many games on them, none of them rang a bell at all. The closest I got was the Amstrad CPC but I watched a lot of game footage and none of it looked familiar, I even played it a tiny bit via my DE10-Nano (MiSTer Porject).

Writing about why I might write about Baywatch

Anyway, I could say far more about all the other stuff I've been doing or thinking about but that's not what I came here for. I came here mostly to write about Baywatch, to perhaps start a journey of regularly writing about Baywatch... this is very unlikely to happen, haha. My mission to review episodes of Buffy and Angel (or was it just Angel?) some years ago didn't last month and that show was shorter and better than Baywatch... I feel bad for saying 'better' because I love Baywatch at the moment, which I will explain later here or in a post another day.

So... Baywatch... I'd like to do a far longer introductions to Baywatch and a summary of the show but I'll try to keep this one short and do the proper one another day. This is because I think it's best I use this time today to start reviewing episodes, namely the episode that's freshest in my mind. Unfortunately I'm starting at the tail end of season 2, perhaps I'll go back and re-watch the older ones so I can review them. This is unlikely though since this show has eleven seasons, I think, not including small spin-offs. Also, if I do write more reviews, I might delete them from here in the future and move them to a place where more people will see them. Umm... no one will see them here and to be honest who cares about Baywatch anyway? Even moving the reviews will make little difference, I don't think they'd get many views even on somewhere like IMDB. Side note - I tried to find Baywatch reviews, they are all terrible or really short or don't exist. So at the moment, I'm just writing about Baywatch for myself... for some reason.

Mini Introduction to Baywatch

I never watched Baywatch in the 90's, I never even accidentally watched a bit of an episode, as far as I can remember. My personality hasn't changed all that much but my mindset was certainly in a very different place back then, I'm not surprised I didn't give the show a second thought. I was probably thinking more about video games and I was perhaps a little too young - I was watching mostly cartoons, films and anime. I didn't even have the hots for Pamela Anderson, I don't remember even thinking about it. Baywatch was something I'd heard about in the background chitter chatter of my life, I heard someone called Pamela Anderson was in it and I quickly ignored it and probably went back to playing Resident Evil. Or went to some arcades. Or most likely continued to develop emotional scaring from bullies and school that crafted my current personality. Maybe some other day I will tell you why I started watching, or maybe not. It's not important or interesting.

Is Baywatch Bad?

Apart from the fact that Baywatch ran for ages and was apparently massively popular, the show is considered trash, even back then, I think. The older I get, the more I realise how subjective everything is. If someone who has never watched TV before was given Baywatch, they would probably love it, in a similar way, I've never watched a show like this before so it is fresh to me. I'm usually into horror, sci-fi, comedy, Japanese anime kinda stuff and surreal things. Baywatch is usually none of these. Also Baywatch is old, like, really old. I'm on season 2 which aired in 1992 and the show finished in 2001 which is twenty two years ago! I was probably working in CeX back then! That may not mean anything to you but that was a big part of my life, it also feels like a life time ago.

The closer I get to the grave, the more I appreciate things, well, least, that's what I've been trying to do. I have been succeeding with this even though it's probably not possible with everything. However it is possible with entertainment since it's just for fun, right? I watch Baywatch and I can see that once upon a time, a lot of people worked hard on this show. Also like I mentioned earlier, it's old, shows like this aren't made anymore... OK, I don't watch that much TV and there's A LOT out there so I don't know that for sure, but one things for sure - Baywatch is set in the 90's and it was made in the 90's, that's not possible anymore, that gives it a unique flavour. Sometimes movies and TV shows are set in the past but no matter how hard they try, they aren't going to be like the real thing.

Is Baywatch sometimes cheesy? Yes. Is it lazy? Yes but rarely (I'll talk about that more another time). It's also quite easy watching though, I consume it when I get up while I consume my breakfast. It's not easy going though, one of the first things I was surprised by was how dramatic it is, people are hurt, people sometimes die and there's sometimes criminals involved. All things I didn't expect, I thought the show was just going to be about beautiful people on the beach. To be fair I hadn't thought about it much before starting the show, of course it's going to have tension and drama. It's still easy watching though since it's a 90's day time TV show, even when serious topics are addressed, they are done in a pretty soft way... for the most part.

All of the above was written two days ago but I didn't post it because for some reason I thought I'd come back to it and write some more. Namely a review of a Baywatch episode and perhaps edit all of this a bit. How silly of me to think this, I should have just made it live (Blogger has a draft option, basically it just automatically saves everything for you before you post it). I'll write the review another day... probably. Although I have already watched one or two more episodes since then.

Destructoid

One last thing before I go - I noticed I mentioned my Destructoid blog in my last post, unsurprisingly I haven't written a second "article" on there since and there's a good chance I never will. It was completely ignored which I'm not surprised by but still, it made me lose interest fast. Also yeah I knoe it was just one post and it was badly written, just like everything else I do. Roughly 5 months later and there was a sudden short fad on Youtube with FGC Youtubers posting their reviews of Street Fighter 6 music, so I was way ahead of curve. Usually they leaned into the idea that the music is bad, so just like me. They have titles like 'Is SF6 Music Really Bad?". Of course they get hundreds of thousands of views and comments while I get zero. Most of them are actually even lower effort than my post, barely saying anything more than "This one is boring" and "Oh this one is kinda fun". It shows that yes, you probably have to put in the time and effort to get popular at first but when you're at the top, you can post any old crap. Minimal effort but you will get attention and then everyone thinks you're smart or entertaining just because you see they're getting attention from thousands, sometimes millions of others.
Wow I sound bitter! I'm not actually that bothered about this and t happened a while ago, typing it all out just makes it sound like I'm more jealous than I really am. Then again typing it out may have revealed my inner feelings for it to myself. Really at the end of the day, it's just that I'm tired of not being good at anything and / or not succeeding at anything. So tired. The idea right now is to give up on it all, I've never left the starting line anyway so I'd probably be happier if I just gave up.


No comments: