Sunday 6 January 2008

Hong-Kong goes legal and Magicbox gets boring

According to the wonderfully old-fashioned site The Magicbox, which I have been reading for many years, Hong-Kong has enforced copyright laws that sound rather serious. I can't help thinking this is a major thing, aren't the very walls of Hong-Kong made of bootleg NES carts? Here's what they say;

'Starting in 2008, Hong Kong enforces a new intellectual property copyright law that prohibits rental, sale, export, exhibit or distribution of devices that bypass copyrights and storage devices/media that infringe copyrights (such as illegal copies of games, flash carts for NDS). It is criminal to display, rent, sell and distribute mod chips, flash carts, and also illegal to modify consoles to bypass copyright protection and distribute illegal ROM images on the Internet.'

I'd like to correct myself, The Magicbox video games news site was indeed wonderful, but not anymore. Cold, hard news used to be all I needed, but since cold, hard news has become almost entirely about crap RPG's or the newest generic Xbox 360 FPS, I find myself visiting the site less often. I describe it as old-fashioned because the type of games news site we get now are usually known as blogs (I guess), like Destructoid. The problem I find with these are that they report on just about everything. If some guy from some games magazine gets fired, they'll report on it, this also leads to constant updates, most of which are crap. I need to find a site that's more to do with the newest games announcements, preferably Japanese games. I guess that's what Magicbox is, but it seems kind of boring now.

No comments: